Friday, July 19, 2013

Last week at the MTC - Fingers crossed!

Well let me tell you... Haha.  I love writing these letters home.  I apologize for the fact that they've been mostly preaching, but I assure you all that it is so I remember to take my own advice :)  I intend to condemn no one.  I wasn't sure what to tell you all about this week! Generally there are tons of things to rant about, but- oh I can feel the inspiration coming.

My new pretend family
First, let me tell you about what mom has referred to as my "new pretend family" :) That's my district.  They're sooo great! I am also the only sister in a class of 12 elders.  They just call me "The hermana" because they can.  Hermana Asay is doing well since her appendectomy and we totally had a party last night, and the night before, telling jokes.  This one is slightly... anyway, I thought it was funny:  Why do missionaries have such big bladders?
Because they only get ONE p-day per week!
 
If you have any jokes to share I would be delighted to read them :)
 
Me and Hermana Asay with no appendix!
I bought 1,500 pre-made flash cards because I started to see the need for an extended vocabulary.  Elder Remund from my first district (he is out in the field now, of course (Virginia)) and he got assigned to TRANSLATE sacrament meeting from English to Spanish every week.  Are you kidding me?   Are you kidding me??   I have no idea how that is going to be possible after only 6 weeks of "studying" Spanish!  BUT the Lord is with us and I know Elder Remund will do great.  Hopefully I won't get that assignment until I at least finish my flash cards :)
 
One exciting thing is that I speak in Spanish in my sleep.  Apparently I will say whole sentences, but last night I just called out, "Bautizarse!" Which means, "to get baptized."  Haha.  Oh how I love being a missionary. 
 
Things get crazy at nighttime
Have I actually told you all about the MTC?  Well, its like this:  We are trapped in this tiny community BUT we could walk out at any time and no one would know until they realized we were gone.  The Spirit here is SO strong and you can feel it every minute.  Our schedule:  Wake up at 6:30.  Exercise.  Breakfast. Personal study. Class for 3 hours. Lunch. Class for 3 hours.  Language Study.  Dinner.  Language study.  Personal study.  Planning.  Bedtime at 10:30.  It is a beautiful life.  Literally, a dream come true.  You don't know how many times I've tried to implement the missionary schedule in my life.  Now I really get to do it successfully (for a whole 18 months) and its AMAZING!  But as much as I LOVE the MTC... I'll be excited to add some variety to my day and teach the gospel to real people in a little bit.
 
Some other important things I may not have mentioned: Here at the MTC they've got a tree that smells like cream soda.  It's rad.  Slip-extenders are not allowed.   Bring headphones to watch mormon messages at 2m- that is allowed.  Don't bring any extra books, you won't need them.    Is that all you need to know about the MTC? I think yes.
 
Now to share my more spiritual thoughts... I woke up with these lyrics in my head from the soundtrack of Joseph King of Dreams, " Maybe knowing I don't know is part of getting through.  If this has been a test, then faith has made it easy, to see the best thing I can do is put my trust in You.  You know better than I. You know the way.  I 've let go the need to know why, for You know better than I."  Of course I can't be sure those are right, but thats what I woke up to.  I testify that as long as we are living on this earth we will need faith. 
 
One of my favorite scriptures: Porque por fe andamos, no por vista (2 Cor 5:7, I think).  We walk by faith, not by sight.  Part of the covenant we make at baptism is to endure to the end.  I know that as we strive to do this we are blessed.  We may not always know what the exact plan is for us in the future, but we don't need to.  I think not knowing really is part of enduring with faith and learning to trust God.  Press on and rely on the covenants you have made or can make with God to give you added strength and comfort.
 
God loves us.  Jesus Christ's sacrifice for us is real.  It enables us to become more than we think we can.  We can't be perfect, but we can be perfected through Him.  I so desire to live His commandments exactly throughout my life.  I am very grateful for those people in my life that help me do that.  I love you all.  Every member a missionary.  The world needs the RESTORED GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST.
 
 
Love,
 
Hermana Sanabria

No comments:

Post a Comment